Sunday, August 02, 2009

Do you want to be happier?

A British professor is urging us to join in his experiment to see how we can make ourselves more happy.

Why do I feel oddly reluctant? Do you feel the same?

An answer to that, might go a long way to explaining why we aren't as happy as we think we ought to be.

I think it's something to do with identity, and the personal past. We cling on, afraid that we'll fall endlessly if we let go; but maybe we're gripping an anchor on the sea floor, and will float towards life when we open our hands.

4 comments:

sobers said...

The trick to happiness is desire, or rather lack of it. If you can reach a state of lack of desire, for people, things, money, love, fame etc, then you will be content. You no longer judge yourself by some arbitrary goal, you just exist. Bliss.

hatfield girl said...

I want! I want!

Paddington said...

Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I sat on our brick patio, watching our son play in the lawn sprinkler, while our donkey munched in the pasture, and the goats frolicked in the other one. Is that happiness, or contentment?

Sackerson said...

P: yes.